The Junior SLAM is run by the Schools Library Service and The Poetry Society and has engaged primary school children in Tower Hamlets for several years now. It is a project that will focus not only the participants’ literacy and oracy, but also crucially on their emotional literacy.
With funding from Amal Fund and Samuel Butler Educational Foundation for the past three years, we have focused on providing schools with Muslim poets to work with our children to be successful role models from their own culture in the creative arts.
The 2022 Slam is funded by Arts Council England and the Samuel Butler Educational Foundation
What schools have said:
“The SLAM raised the profile of poetry especially the whole school assembly our poet did and then the Year 6’s performing to the school. The children were very excited. We hope to continue this excitement with our own poetry slam during book week.”
“The experience…has been brilliant and totally beyond expectation. Joelle developed a wonderful rapport with the more difficult children and held their attention and enthusiasm brilliantly. They will definitely be talking about this experience for a long time.”
Each school will receive:
- INSET training for up to 3 staff members
- 2 days of workshops with a poet in your school
- Performance day at the SLAM Finale
Poet mentors include: Kat Francois, Rakaya Fetuga, Shagufta Iqbal, Abdullahi Mohammed and others
- January: INSET training will provide activities and tips for engaging your class with poetry, preparing for your poet visit and honing your class performance skills.
- January and February : Workshops will take place across two days. Each child will have the opportunity to write and perform. At the end of the sessions your class will have chosen a group (or whole-class) piece and a solo piece to perform at the SLAM showcase.
- February The SLAM showcase at a central venue will involve all of the schools and poets on the project. The showcase will be a fun and energetic celebration of the successes of all the young people on the project, with prizes for various categories awarded.
Participation is limited to the first 14 schools to apply.
Sign up by “buying” the poetry slam through SLA online or contact the Schools Library Services for more information.
- Tel : 020 7364 6428
- email : firstname.lastname@example.org