A professionally managed school library will:
- Boost learning and achievement
- Encourage reading for pleasure
- Impress your visitors and school inspectors!
The Schools Library Services offer both a school-based and centralised advisory and support network for all levels of staff, from management through to teachers, librarians and teaching assistants.
We can provide consultancy and advisory services to all schools within London and the surrounding areas. Contact us for more information about how we can help you.
A third of Tower Hamlets primary schools now employ a professional librarian for a few hours a week through our service.
We can help you at any stage of your library journey
If you are starting out, want to revamp a tired library or want to put in place on-going effective day-to-day management of your existing library, we can help:
- Strategy and planning. We can help you make a library that works for the whole school. We’ll discuss YOUR priorities – promoting reading for pleasure, supporting reluctant readers, engaging the community, teaching information and research skills – putting the library at the heart of the school
- Design services. How to make the best use of the space, including helping you choose the most suitable library furniture
- Budgeting and planning. We’ll formulate short, medium and long-term plans that work for your school’s targets and mission.
- Staffing. A library cannot function without dedicated staff and the best libraries are managed by a professional librarian. We can provide a librarian even for a just few hours each week or train for your own team. For secondary schools we can assist in recruitment, including job descriptions and person specifications.
- Your core books. We’ll help you choose the best books to get your pupils reading and to support the curriculum
- IT support. We can help you install the most suitable library management system, provide training in managing your existing system and we keep abreast of the market and advise if changes become necessary.
- Cataloguing and classification. We can make all your new books shelf-ready and turn a room full of books into a library! Remember, good school libraries need a regular injection of new books.