Dhami, Narinder. Sunita’s Secrets
Sunita would prefer that her schoolmates didn’t know that her dad is an infamous fraudster on the run, but when they find out, Sunita has her work cut out to prove that she’s no criminal herself. As she’s trying to keep her head down, she starts doing little favours for people secretly. And, oddly, a rash of helpful book-mending, locker-tidying and present-leaving quickly takes over the class and, then, the whole school. Even arch-enemy Celina seems to have been affected – but when she tries to take the credit for the scheme, Sunita can see her motives are far from innocent. Should Sunita put up or shut up?
Gleitzman, Morris. Once
Felix’s Jewish bookseller parents leave him in an orphanage before being wrenched away by the Nazis. Convinced they are alive, he thinks up more and more elaborate (and humorous) explanations for his circumstances and runs off to find them. En route he meets a little girl named Zelda, and uses stories to explain away the horrific things they witness. Before long, Zelda and Felix find themselves caught up in the crowd of Jews being herded by Nazis with guns toward the ghetto. Touching, funny and full of moving contradictions.
Howe, James. Totally Joe
As a school assignment, a thirteen-year-old boy writes an alphabiography – life from A to Z – and explores issues of friendship, family, school, and the challenges of being a gay teenager. He starts by saying “I am not exactly your average Joe, and I get called plenty of names because of it” Although worried about others reading his work, his openness as a gay teen is met with support from friends and family, despite bullying from several classmates.
Johnson, Pete. Help! I’m a Classroom Gambler
George and Harvey liven up their school day by making bets on how many times the supply teacher will give a nervous twitch, how often the Head will blow his nose, and how often the maths teacher scratches his armpit. All of a sudden, school is fun – but then the gambling craze starts to spread and Harvey realises it’s all getting out of control…
Lawrence, Michael. Ryan’s Brain
This eighth adventure of the 21st century three musketeers, sees Jiggy and his pals, Angie and Pete, as usual, in trouble. This time, they are under threat from the brain of Bryan Ryan, one of their classmates. Bryan’s Brain is out of control and threatening to take over the world! And only Jiggy, Pete and Angie, the ‘Three Musketeers’, can stop it. One for All and All for Lunch!
McNish, Cliff. Breathe: A Ghost Story
Only Jack, suffering from terrible asthma attacks, seems able to see the ghosts in the house, and realise that the ghost children are afraid of the ghost mother. And only he seems able to understand what the ghost mother is about to do but can he understand enough to be able to save his own mother from her clutches?
Stanton, Andy. You’re a Bad Man, Mr Gum!
Mr Gum is a complete horror who hates children, animals, fun and corn on the cob. This book is all about him. And an angry fairy who lives in his bathtub. and a little girl called Polly and an evil, stinky butcher all covered in guts. There’s heroes and sweets and adventure and everything! And Jake the dog who must be saved from terrible, terrible evil.
- 1. Balliett, Blue Chasing Vermeer
- 2. Barker, Dominic Blart: The Boy Who Didn’t Want To Save the World
- 3. Cassidy, Cathy Scarlett
- 4. Cattrell, Bob Butter-finger
- 5. Colfer, Eoin The Legend of the Captain Crow’s teeth
- 6. Dhami, Narinder Sunita’s secrets
- 7. Gleitzman, Morris Once
- 8. Hiaasen, Carl Flush
- 9. Higson Charlie Double or die
- 10. Howe, James Totally Joe
- 11. Johnson, Pete Help! I’m a classroom gambler
- 12. Jones, Diana Wynne The Pinhoe Egg (Chrestomanci)
- 13. Kuijer, Guus The Book of everything
- 14. Laird, Elizabeth Secrets of The Fearless
- 15. Lawrence, Michael Ryan’s Brain
- 16. MacPhail, Catherine Under the skin
- 17. Mcnish, Cliff Breathe: A Ghost Story
- 18. Mooney, Bel Like Mother Like Daughter
- 19. Pattenden, Sian The Awful Tale Of Agatha Bilke
- 20. Paver, Michelle Spirit walker
- 21. Ryan, Chris Flash flood
- 22. Said, S. F. The Outlaw Varjak Paw
- 23. Shearer, Alex Tins
- 24. Stanton, Andy You’re a bad man, Mr Gum!
- 25. Toksvig, Sandi Hitler’s canary