As well as lending resources for your classrooms and libraries, we organise activities, events and competitions to get children excited about reading and writing.
The Tower Hamlets Book Award is included in the annual subscription for all schools. Author visits – either single visits or a package of three – entry to the Creative Writing Competition, and Poetry Slam are purchased separately.
Our Reading Year:
- Our flagship event! Pupils from years 5 to 9 shadow the award, reading the shortlist chosen from our annual book lists. The award culminates in a grand finale event in late November with guest authors and performances from schools. Not to be missed!
- Pupils from primary and secondary schools write poems and short stories that are judged by children’s authors, with the winning entries being published. There are great prizes to be done and in recent years, Arts Council England have provided funding for author-led writing workshops.
- Every year we book an author to headline a multi-school event on this day. Previous guests have included Anthony Browne, Chitra Soundar, Ken Wilson-Max, Dame Jacqueline Wilson, Chris Riddell and Michael Rosen
- In partnership with the Poetry Society, primary schools host a poet in residence to coach pupils in writing and performing their own poems. This great event finishes with a full on-stage competition with trophies to be won!
- In partnership with the Poetry Society, secondary schools host a poet in residence to coach pupils in writing and performing their own poems. This great event finishes with a full on-stage competition at a theatre venue with prizes to be won!
- Primary schools in the borough can nominate pupils who have helped out in their school library during the year. This award celebrates these pupils’ achievements and is a chance for schools to celebrate having a great school library!
Throughout the year
- We work with Authors Aloud UK to provide regular visits from authors, storytellers and poets to your schools throughout the year.
For more information about each event, please follow these links: