About the competition
The Tower Hamlets Creative Writing Competition is an annual event for schools in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets for students aged six years to sixteen.
- Open to pupils in subscribing schools OR to members of Tower Hamlets Idea Stores
- Pupils in years 1 to 11 may enter
- Categories for short stories and poetry
It has been run by Tower Hamlets Schools Library Service since 2011 with the aims of promoting wider reading and literacy, and to encourage young people to express themselves through the written word. Research carried out during the 2020 competition showed that pupils participating in the competition and in the author workshops benefited by gaining confidence in their writing ability and developing greater insight into the issues raised by the competition themes.
Theme for 2024 : DISCOVER
The theme for the competition this year is Discover. Writers can interpret this in any way they wish and there are countless options to choose from. We’ve collected some ideas together at www.towerhamlets-sls.org.uk/getwriting and will be adding to this over the term.
- Prompts and a booklist to support the theme and provide ideas for all year groups will go live later this year
- Promotional posters and flyers with writing prompts will be sent to all participating schools
- For pupils and parents : www.towerhamlets-sls.org.uk/getwriting : Ideas, prompts and other resources. Plus competition rules and what the judges will be looking for,
- Entry form : Work can be submitted from February 2024
- For schools – keep reading!
Register for the competition (Schools only)
Parents/ students entering via the Idea Stores do NOT need to register
In order to enter the competition, receive posters, entry forms and flyers, and take advantage of these free author workshops, schools need to:
- enter the competition by “buying” it via the Services to Schools/ SLAonline platform (Creative Writing Competition 2024. Just £40 to subscribing primary schools to cover administration – discount applied on purchase)
- email email@example.com letting us know who is to lead on running this event in your school.
- use the form below to book your free writing workshops!
The Arts Council grant also enables us to publish a book of the winning entries.