Well done to everyone who entered. This year’s guest judges – authors Manjeet Mann and William Hussey – joined us at the prize-giving ceremony and awarded prizes to the competition winners.
We’re in the process of planning our next events, so please let us know your feedback for the 2023 competition (form below).
Theme for 2023 : A Brighter Future ?
The theme for this year’s competition is A Brighter Future ?
- Prompts and a booklist to support the theme and provide ideas for all year groups can be found at www.towerhamlets-sls.org.uk/cwc-ideas
- Promotional posters and flyers with writing prompts will be sent to all participating schools
Entering the competition
In 2023 there will be 5 age groups in the competition:
- Group 1: Years 1 & 2
- Group 2: Years 3 & 4
- Group 3: Years 5 & 6
- Group 4: Years 7 to 9
- Group 5: Years 10 & 11
- Write a short story up to 500 words (primary) and 750 words (secondary)
- may also be an illustrated story or comic book
- Write a poem or verse story up to 25 lines (primary) and 35 lines (secondary)
- Poems and stories may exceed this word count/line limit by up to 100 words/5 lines
- Poems and stories must follow the competition theme
Pupils may enter both the short story and poetry categories. The competition deadline is Friday 31st March 2023. Work must be submitted by this date.
Register for the competition (Schools only)
Parents/ students entering via the Idea Stores do NOT need to register
In order to enter the competition, receive posters, entry forms and flyers, and take advantage of these free author workshops, schools need to:
- enter the competition by “buying” it via SLAonline (Creative Writing Competition 2023. Just £40 to subscribing primary schools to cover administration)
- email email@example.com letting us know who is to lead on running this event in your school.
- use the form below to book your free writing workshops!
The Arts Council grant also enables us to publish a book of the winning entries.
Fully-funded writing workshops for schools
We are thrilled to announce that Arts Council England has again awarded Tower Hamlets Schools Library Service with a grant to enhance our annual Creative Writing Competition with author-led creative writing workshops for schools, Idea Stores and home-educated children.
Author workshop booking form